ONLINE: Postgraduate Supervision Training [for postdoctoral fellows] Part One
Most Postdoctoral Fellows find themselves involved in both co- and supervision of a variety of postgraduate students, ranging from Honours, to Masters and Doctoral students. By virtue of their focus on research and possible further pathway in an academic career, this is a natural and expected part of a Postdoc’s development.
This 2-part online workshop offers UCT Postdocs an opportunity to engage in understanding postgraduate student needs and good supervision practises within the UCT system (which is not unlike most other university systems).
Presenters drawn from within UCT will interact with Postdocs in a diverse and informative programme.
The topics to be covered in this workshop are:
- Scope of Honours, Masters and Doctoral degrees
- Roles and responsibilities of the supervisor/co-supervisor and the student
- Good vs poor supervision characteristics
- Developing a relationship: communication and expectations, including the MoU
- Dealing with conflict
How to book your place
Click "Begin Registration" below and complete the sections that appear.
Registered participants will be sent a link to the online workshop via e-mail closer to the time. Please be sure to check your e-mail address with which you registered to receive these details, along with other important information.
The second part of this workshop is scheduled for the 17th of May from 11h00 to 13h00 and will cover the following topics:-
- Supervisory styles
- Giving effective feedback
- Managing the postgraduate journey process and the research project
- The examination process
- Issues of integrity (research ethics)
Should you be interested in attending, please register here.
- Monday, May 10, 2021
- 11:00am - 1:00pm
- Various presenters