Introduction to NVivo for Qualitative Data Analysis & Management (Full day)
Course fee is R 1 000 per person (refreshments provided)
In this short course, you will be introduced to the NVivo12 software. This is a hands-on course in which you are expected to work on your own data during the session. The training will take place in a computer lab where the software will already be installed.
- Training in NVivo is not a substitute for qualitative research training.
- This training course is for Windows-users only.
This course is intended for researchers (from all disciplines):
- Working with: Qualitative data (interviews, focus groups, field notes, documents, visual and audio data)
- Who: Preferably have a background in or experience in qualitative research methodology
- Who want to: use NVivo for managing and coding their data (following general qualitative principles of content, thematic, or narrative analysis, or other similar approaches)
- Who: have no or little experience with NVivo, but who are interested in using it for research they are currently conducting.
At the end of the course participants will have learned and practised:
- Setting-up an NVivo project: importing data, creating folders, using case nodes, formatting documents for auto coding, creating audio transcripts
- Using basic analysis features of NVivo: creating parent and child nodes, coding to nodes, audio-coding, reviewing and changing coding, annotations, applying ‘see also links’, memoing, and performing a basic text query.
A Certificate of Attendance will be issued to participants of the course.
For more information or to register email your registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration closes Friday 6 March 2020. There is limited space available. Only participants registered for the workshop will be eligible to attend.
Pre-Workshop Preparation instructions
To get the most out of the sessions it is important that participants please note the following points:
- Participants should come to the training with any data they are currently working with, or would like to use in the sessions, available on a memory stick.
- We will be working with Windows NVivo12 Pro which is the latest version of the software released by QSR International. There is no provision in the training facility for using the Mac version of NVivo.
- We will be working on computers in a laboratory environment. There is no provision in the facility that allows participants to plug into power points to charge their own devices.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Department of Information Systems
Faculty of Commerce
- Tuesday, March 24, 2020
- 9:00am - 4:00pm
- Medical Campus
- Faculty of Health Sciences: Continuing Education Unit