UCT 3-Minute Thesis competition
Announcing the 3MT® competition for senior PhD students from across all UCT faculties
Thursday, 13 September – 10h30 to 14h00
New Lecture Theatre (South end of University Ave.)
What’s it all about?
Students have 3 minutes to present their PhD research* to a non-specialist audience, verbally and with a single static Powerpoint slide. Please note that this event will be recorded and streamed.
All registered PhD students who have completed sufficient research to tell a compelling story (most likely those planning submission in 2018 and early 2019) may enter.
UCT monetary prizes to first place, runner up, and a ‘People’s choice’ award. In addition, the winner will represent UCT at the national 3MT® finals competition and the University of the Free State.
Find out more about 3MT®: http://threeminutethesis.org/
How to book your seat (audience):
Click on the 'Begin Registration' button and complete sections below.
How to enter the competition:
- Entries close by the end of the day on Friday, 31 August
- Send an email to email@example.com stating your name, faculty and department in which you are registered and which year of your PhD you’re in. Also give the title of your talk, and a <100 word non-specialist descriptor of your research (this will appear in the final program if selected for presentation). Please use 3MT competition in the subject line.
- The organising & selection committee will have the final say as to which entries are accepted for presentation (in the event that we are over-subscribed).
- Presenters will be notified by Friday, 7 September whether they have been selected or not.
* The ability to present research in a clear and coherent manner to an audience who know little, or nothing, about your area of study is an important skill that all doctoral students need to develop. 3MT® encourages you to develop your research communication skills and your capacity to explain your research using non-technical language to a non-specialist audience. The competition further aims to showcase the research work that our doctoral students across the University have undertaken.
- Thursday, September 13, 2018
- 10:30am - 2:00pm
- New Lecture Theatre (University Avenue - South), Upper Campus
- Upper Campus
Room 2.04 Level 2 Otto Beit Building
University Avenue, Upper Campus
University of Cape Town