ONLINE: Starting the PhD journey (for 1st year PhDs only) Part Two
About this workshop
We are offering a series of two interactive webinars (including workshop elements) designed to introduce first year PhD students from across faculties to 'the PhD Journey'. The sessions will cover topics appropriate for new PhD students highlighting critical moments in the journey, considering the 'Proposal', interacting with supervisors, developing academic writing skills, amongst others.
This workshop covers the following topics:
- Managing the project (and yourself) through the PhD journey
- Looking after your physical and mental health during the PhD journey (Student Wellness Services)
- Managing the supervisor-student nexus (including MOU)
- The PhD journey: Critical moments (DDB and faculty processes)
Experienced UCT staff and consultants will be on hand to present, facilitate and provide information on the various resources available to you as a PhD student. The webinars are targeted at 1st year PhD students.
Participants may register for one or both webinars and while the intention is for participants to attend both, we understand if that is not possible.
What previous attendees have said about this workshop:
- "The workshop was very informative, all sections mattered and were well delivered."
- "It was a very informative course and we appreciate the information you have provided. It has made me understand that when the going gets tough we can always ask for help and not feel like we have to do everything alone."
- "I feel better informed in my PhD journey and was reminded of some key concepts to improve my experience."
* Although the workshop will be recorded, only attendees and registered participants with good reason for non-attendance will receive access to the recording after the workshop.
- Friday, March 8, 2024
- 11:00am - 1:00pm
- Prof. Peter Meissner, Dr. Amanda Claassen-Smithers, Dr. Alexandra Sutherland, Ms. Carol Sterling & Dr. Kevin Winter