ONLINE: Starting the PhD journey (for 1st year PhDs only) Part One
About this workshop
We are offering a series of two interactive webinars (including workshop elements) designed to introduce first year PhD students from across faculties to 'the PhD Journey'. The sessions will cover topics appropriate for new PhD students highlighting critical moments in the journey, considering the 'Proposal', interacting with supervisors, developing academic writing skills, amongst others.
This workshop covers the following topics:
- What is a PhD? Why a PhD?
- Developing your writing skills
- Developing/writing your PhD proposal
Experienced UCT staff and consultants will be on hand to present, facilitate and provide information on the various resources available to you as a PhD student. The webinars are targeted at 1st year PhD students.
Participants may register for one or both webinars and while the intention is for participants to attend both, we understand if that is not possible.
What previous attendees have said about this workshop:
- "Useful tips and websites were given which makes the PhD journey feel less isolating knowing that these resources are available."
- "I am due to complete my research proposal soon so this gives me better insight into completing my propsal."
- "It will help to write better and produce a more complete piece addressing the necessary and important questions that stem from my research."
* Although the workshop will be recorded, only attendees and registered participants with good reason for non-attendance will receive access to the recording after the workshop.
- Wednesday, March 6, 2024
- 11:00am - 1:00pm
- Prof. Peter Meissner, Dr. Catherine Hutchings & Prof. Lester Davids